Sunday, August 7, 2011

Spooky Rhymes and Riddles (Lilian Moore, 1972)

Hi, Julie B. I seem to have acquired your copy of Spooky Rhymes and Riddles. It's mine now. All mine.
From Scholastic Book Services, Spooky Rhymes and Riddles (1972, Lilian Moore, illustrated by Ib Ohlsson) is a collection of poems on witches, ghosts and monsters. Unlike the childhood-scarring Poems to Trouble Your Sleep, these all favor fun over fright.

The complete contents are:
The Ghost in Our Apartment House
The Monster's Pet
When a Monster Scolds Her Children
Ghost Baby
What to Say to an Alligator
The Friendly Guy
Spooky Riddles
The Ghost Goes to the Supermarket
Mrs. O'Gray
Greedy Goblin
Listen!
Cat
The Monster's Birthday
Johnny Drew a Monster
There Was an Egg
Something Is There
Spooky Limericks
Poem About THEM
When a Ghost Gets Smudgy
The Witch's Song
Bedtime Story
Teeny Tiny Ghost

8 comments:

Till The Following Night said...

Little ironic I think...

http://tillthefollowingnight.blogspot.com/2011/08/spooky-rhymes-riddles.html

Brother Bill said...

That's too funny. Great geeks think alike, apparently.

I'll keep an eye on Till The Following Night--some good stuff in there!

Mr. Karswell said...

very cool book! Scholastic had so many great artists working for them back then...

Brigid N. Burke said...

I have this book! It was one of my favorites as a kid. Weirdly enough, there is also a name written on the cover of mine in the same place.

Anonymous said...

Brother Bill, Do you know that Forex Is Highest Paying Keyword in Google Adsense? Learn how to use Forex here:

The Librarian said...

I love it, I want it, must have it

Beltdrive said...

I had, may have a copy of this.
pjd

Beltdrive said...

HI, so i want to take a moment and say that I was in grade school in the early 70's. It's impossible to express the joy I had when ordering from (Scholastic Book Services) and receiving books in my class like this one. I don't recall that I read much of them but I was elated to receive them and waited with crazy anticipation for them to arive.. I have such soft warm feeling to this day.. ahhhh... pjd