Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Pool of Fire (Boy's Life, Mar. '84 - Aug. '86)

Here's the final book in the serial comic adaptation of John Christopher's Tripods trilogy that appeared in Boy's Life magazine in single-page chapters from March '84 to August '86, but never collected or available in any other format. (I previously posted on the The White Mountains and The City of Gold and Lead. Purchase the original novels here.)

Here the boys return to the alien city hoping to sabotage its power supply, a mysterious pool of fire.

Click any page to embiggen, or browse complete issues at Google books, here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Thanks for posting these. I first discovered The Tripods about 3 years ago when someone wrote to www.kindertrauma.com about how the BBC series frightened them as a child. Since then, I've read the novels as well as the prequel written in the 80s, and bought the BBC miniseries. Thanks for this!

Unknown said...

Thanks for finding these and putting them online. It's been 20+ years, but I still remember the books and this illustrated serial. One comment though. Chapter seven in POF is missing a section... fyi.

j said...

That's so much for this. The few I read in Boy's Life haunted me ever since. Feels so good to have finally read it in full.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this, I have loved all the tripod books since I was a child and they introduced me to to the superiority of reading over watching the tell-lies-vision.

vista7 said...

It was really cool to read the whole comic in full. I remember I didn't have all the issues of Boy's Life when this came out and then waiting to read the next one. I finally read the books. Boys Life did a good job with the comics.